Monday 4 February 2013

Barbados in Winter

Through a number of strategically played, totally flukey moves, I am taking a long vacation in Barbados this winter.  I found it interesting when I began to reveal my plan. People had such varying responses. So I found myself coming up with all different, creative ways of presenting this message.  When I listened to myself, I saw that I was feeling defensive about my good luck.

  • well Derek is going to be away a lot
  • I am not very busy at work
  • the kids have all moved out
  • I live in a small portion of my house
  • it is cold in Canada and it is warm in Barbados
But then I realized, as my father used to tell me, "people make their own luck".  So I stopped trying to rationalize my circumstances and chose to tell those who would ask, what my dear friend Brenda likes to simply say "I am going to Barbados for 6 weeks, because I can".


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think after two and a half decades of mothering your crazy children you deserve this break.
Think of it less of a vacation and more as payback time for all those times you drove us to school (me moreso than the others), woke up early to make us breakfast, took us to appointments, drove us around, etc.
Doing all this while still finding time to maintain your career deserves an applause let alone a break.
Kev

Unknown said...

Well I think I am going to cry Kev. Not only for what you so eloquently said, but just because you are reading my blog!!
xxoo

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share
some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your work.
If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

Here is my web-site - quality seo services